Mum's Journal

One of the cooler things that my mum brought with her was a diary that she kept while she was pregnant with me and made regular entries in until I was a bit over a year old. Very interesting read. Most interesting were her observations and predictions of who I was going to be. I have to say from a fairly early age she picked up on certain personality traits that still I possess Self fulling prophecy perhaps? Who knows.

So it might be an interesting thing to do the same for Kaitlyn. I guess this weblog is a modern version of my mum's journal. So we are halfway there. What about observations into the future? hmmm give me a shot.

Right now Kaitlyn can be demanding. If she doesn't get what she wants she'll let you know. I guess it kinda started with me lifting her up in the air. She loved it so much that she came up with a way to communicate it, she would lift up her shoulders while pushing her arms out and down, at the same time she'd try and stand on her tippy toes. While doing all of this she'd move like she was shivering and give out a grunt/squeal.

Yeah it's pretty cute. Anyhoo if you ignore her request to lift her up above your head her movements get more distincts and her grunt/squeal changes to a grizzle. Ignore her more and she'll cry.

Now her actions for pick me up over your head are used to communicate that whatever you have her currently doing is not what she wants to do. Or that there is something over there that I'm interested in, and you're not taking me to it.

So I'm prepared for lots of "But please daddy, I want an umpa loompa too" and plenty of tantrums when she doesn't get her way.

Another observation is how easily she gets frustrated. Over the past month or so she's taken an interest in my t-shirts. I have many funky (well I think so) t-shirts, most of which have an interesting pattern or logo around the chest area.

Kaitlyn usually notices these logo's when we are sitting on the couch and she's sitting or standing on my lap looking at me. You can really see it. Her eye's drift from my face, down towards my chest. Then her eyes widen.

Usually it's followed by her reaching down to touch the logo/pattern. Then she tries to pick it up, which of course results in failure. She keep grasping at it though, usually to the point of frustration. Even as she cries in frustration she's tries to grasp at the t-shirt. Persistence I guess

So I guess that tells me that she gets frustrated easily or that she gets so focused on a task that she doesn't know when to walk away.

Kaitlyn like most kids seems to be a fan of fun. Right now things she deems are fun are flying/being lifted above your head, bouncing up and down, doing a body slam (when lying on her back her feet go straight up and are then slammed down hard on the ground), sitting up, standing up and practising walking. Kaitlyn seems to know when you have come to play with her, as first her eyes light up and seem to smile, then the mouth catches on and it too smiles.

So perhaps Kaitlyn is going to be like me, motivated by fun? Who knows i think most kids are motivated by fun.

No comments: