Things that go bang in the night

So we were just awoken by gunshots.

Initially we all thought it was kids and fire crackers which is not that unusual for where we live. But the gunshots (I think I heard 3, in rapid succession) were followed by lots and lots of shouting and a lot of police sirens.

I got up to see two police cars screaming towards the near by mcdonalds. I got up to investigate and noticed that there were many flashing lights coming from the mcdonalds. Then I heard a loud very distinct voice saying.

"Come out with your hands up"

Holy crap something big was going down.

I ran and grabbed hitomi and they joined me watching the scene below unfold.

Police cars continued to stream in. Right now I count at least 7 within my view and I know there are at least 5 or so more that I are obscured by buildings.

From our vantage point we could see that there was a silver or white sedan (looks like a large honda or mazda sedan) and at least 3 or 4 police officers had their weapons drawn and were surrounding it from a distance.

Hitomi and my mum saw people crawling on the ground towards the police and hitomi thought she saw a girl with her hands up walking towards the police.

I distinctively heard, ".... with your hands and knees on the ground... and you won't get hurt...."

I saw at least one guy in a white tracksuit crawling on the ground.

At one point a paramedic SUV came up near us and was kinda creeping up behind the police lines. which was accompanied by much shouting "Get back, get back, get the hell back" to which the paramedic quickly complied.

After we presume all the people crawled out of the car, we the officers approach and check the car. They all looked super wary, their guns all drawn, slowly inching their way towards the car.

Then at least 5 of them gathered at the back of the vehicle, guns all drawn. they popped the trunk, cleared the trunk and then most turned away and headed back towards the mcdonalds. I guess the situation was secured. Though even now a good 45 mins after, there are at least 4 police cars that I can see, and they have still closed off the road and there is police tape across the mcdonalds entrances.

I wonder what happened? the police were very fast to respond. Almost like at least 1 unit was there at the time of the first gunshots. I hope no-one was shot... I have no idea how I'm going to sleep tonight.

Update: so I went downstairs for a closer peak as most of the police cars had seemed to leave. I watch police officers searching with their flashlights for something on the ground and then put a traffic cone over anything they found. (noticed that only 1 officer had an LED light and it was sooo much brighter than the others) I assume that they were bullet casings. anyhoo I counted at least 9 traffic cones. So I guess that means at least 9 shots?

Not sure what happened but it seems like the they are in a straight line from the mcdonalds entrace to a car parked right opposite. With a large number of them to the side of the car? kinda like someone ran from the car towards the mcdonald firing. Or someone shot at the silver car from the mcdonalds entrance and ran across the car park to the parked car and used it as cover to fire more shots.

The first news crew has just turned up. I think it's city TV. just a lone camera man.

No comments: