Asami the peanut

So as most of you know Kaitlyn was a really small baby. Weighing in at 2.6kg (5.7lb)

At birth she was only 47cm (18.5") but had a head circumference of 34cm (13.75"). Ouch!

Our Dr has been rather concerned with her weight and we been told to "top up" her 2 hourly feeding with formula. We are loathe to do it, but Kaitlyn has lost almost 11% of her original birth weight in 3 days.

A loss in birth weight is expected over the first 3 days, as usually a mother is only starts to produce "real" milk, prior to that the mother only produces Colostrum, while very important to development, does not actually help the new born gain weight. During this 3 day period, the absolute maximum weight loss is 10%

So yeah, they are a tad worried about her. I'm not so convinced. She's sooo tiny, so loosing 10% of initial mass would be very easy. Anyhoo so we've topped up the last couple of meals and have started pumping (ant we aren't having much luck with that).

I can't see how people are attracted to bottle feeding, there is a crap load of prepping to be done, it's not a simple like whipping out a boob for a meal, there's sterilising, there mixing of formula, there's refigerating, and then warming it up again. For mine the boob rules :)

Oh and the sterilizing involves you boiling the crap out of something for at least 10 mins, and then drying and re-assembling it, without letting it touch other non-sterilised things (ie: everything else in your house, including yourself). And I have mixed reports that I'm meant to do that before I use any of the sterile items. Holy crap.

Anyhoo, Kaitlyn's just finished her meal and she's in bed, so when she sleeps, we sleep.

I'll try and get more pics up for the next post.

No comments: